Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blog Summary #3

Looking back at older posts, of which I`m ashamed to say there aren`t many, I`m not sure if it is really obvious of how I`ve evolved, through my writing at least. However, I think I have changed, especially in the ways that I view leisure, and constraints that "appear" to stop me. To be perfectly honest, leisure was never something I thought of before as a concept...I just did it, most of the time not even thinking about what I was experiencing. As I mentioned in a prior post, I used to be really active, playing on sports teams and what not, and although I know I was experiencing leisure, I never thought of it then. It just wasn't a concept, or...a thought I applied to anything back then. It was only until I applied to Leisure Sciences that I began to understand there was more to think about. I am more aware now of how to leisure in a more effective way, of sorts. I think my biggest constraint has always been time when it came to leisuring, but now I`ve learned ways to work around that. I can multi-task! It is now possible for me to do something that I might not want to do because I feel forced, (but it`s something I have to do), and make it something more enjoyable, something I can even consider leisure. I also think that now that I`ve been exposed to the different ideas surrounding leisure and what it is, for example, that it is a state of mind, I find it easier to experience it. I do really believe that it is a state of mind. I have been paying more attention lately, and I find I`m able to experience leisure doing just about anything, at least for a while, as long as I am able to stay relaxed and stress free. This is a nice thing, especially at work. I like my job, and I don`t find it stressful, for the most part, and I love the people I work with, however sometimes I would feel annoyed with the fact that I had to go to, especially on a saturday morning. However! I can now say that I am able to experience more leisure at work because I`m aware that for me, its all in my mind.


I think I have evolved as a leisure educator, and although I haven`t really "educated" anyone yet, I feel more inclined to do so than before, and I have also been talking about leisure with my friends alot more, again, not something I ever talked or thought about before. It`s been really interesting learning everything that I have, and it has gotten me to thinking. I think now my next step will be venturing outside of my comfort zone and experiencing leisure in a new form. I don`t know how yet, but I feel like it may be time for me to go farther than just hanging out with friends. I know I`ve said it many times to myself during the semester, but I do miss being active like I used to be. I feel that it`s time for me to enroll in some kind of sport or art class. I also think it may be time to start looking for a job that has to do more with my field. I`m currently working at American Apparel, where I fold clothes, but I know that alot of people in Leisure Sciences or T.R are working at jobs where they are able to experience what we are taught, so I am thinking this may be a change I will make this year. I think, however, for this endeavour time won`t be my issue, motivation will be!

I have learned quite a bit this semester, in fact I would even dare to say I learned the most this semester than I have in my year and a half at Concordia so far! I have formed new opinions about leisure, I have begun the process of educating others, although I have plenty more to do, and I have come to the realization, along with most others in the class, that leisure is a state of mind. I have learned that I can achieve a state of leisure doing things I wouldn`t normally enjoy. I have learned that although time remains my biggest constraint, there are ways to work around it, and with it. I now need to find the motivation to go further, make changes in my life and leisure in different ways!

1 comment:

Jessica A said...

Nice blog summary. Expresses important ideas about leisure in your life and is related to course content. 8/10